Thank you for your interest in our residency program. We are very excited about our program, and we hope that you will share in our enthusiasm as you learn more about the program from this web site.
About the Program
The Grand Rapids Medical Education Partners/Michigan State University Pediatric Residency Program at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital offers a complete experience with community-acquired disease as well as specialty-oriented exposure to the broad array of pediatric disease that only a referral center can provide. With its affiliation with the Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, it also offers the quality teaching faculty and educational experiences provided by a university-based residency.
Graduates of our program are fully prepared for a future in pediatrics, whether it be general practice, hospital medicine, or subspecialty training. Most importantly, our residents learn to take care of children and their families, not just diseases.
About Helen DeVos Children's Hospital
- Magnificent free standing children’s hospital, opened 1/11/11
- Referral center for 37 Michigan counties
- More than 150 physicians in 40 pediatric specialties
- More than 8,300 inpatient admissions annually
- More than 190,000 outpatient visits annually
- More than 41,000 pediatric emergency department visits annually and Level I trauma center with pediatric surgeons available 24/7
- Nearly 9,000 surgeries a year
- One of the largest children’s cancer and blood disorders programs in the nation with more than 750 patient visits monthly
- West Michigan’s only bone marrow transplantation program
- Only pediatric radiology department in West Michigan with nearly 75,000 visits a year
- Expanded pediatric cardiology program including advanced interventional cardiology and electrophysiology
- Cardiovascular surgery for infants and children as well as adults with congenital or childhood-onset heart disease
- Comprehensive pediatric nephrology program including dialysis and kidney transplantation
- Only pediatric sleep disorder laboratory in West Michigan managed by pediatric pulmonary specialists
- Nation's 10th largest neonatal center with more than 1200 babies admitted each year.
- One of only 115 nationally accredited cystic fibrosis care centers in the United States
- One of Michigan’s largest pediatric diabetes programs
- A team of child life specialists focused on kids’ developmental needs and innovative ways of reducing the anxiety of hospitalization
- Leader of Partners in Children’s Health, a network of hospitals throughout Michigan working together to improve the health of children and families
- More than 40 specialty clinics in Grand Rapids and throughout the region
- Lead agency for Safe Kids Greater Grand Rapids and Safe Kids Lakeshore Coalitions
- Only Children’s Miracle Network hospital in the western and northern areas of the state
- We have a Child Protection Team composed of 40 members from multiple disciplines which provides services for physically and sexually abused and neglected children on an inpatient and outpatient basis. This team has helped over 600 children annually since 1993.
With this size and patient population, HDVCH ranks in the top half of children's hospitals in terms of both inpatient admissions and outpatient care. However, with the involvement of community-based pediatricians and clinically-based specialists, Helen DeVos Children's Hospital never loses its community-based atmosphere.
Please check out the links to your left to learn more about the program, including the residents, the faculty, the curriculum and didactics, and elective opportunities.
Letter from Program Director
Congratulations on finding the best Pediatric residency program in the Midwest! Does that surprise you? Read on to learn why I believe this is true.
We serve large numbers of children, both in primary and subspecialty care. Your inpatient experience and your active continuity clinic will give you the opportunity to manage a great variety of sick and healthy children from birth to young adulthood. This translates into a rich and diverse educational experience for you through the entire spectrum of pediatric pathology.
We are, above all else, committed to preserving the educational integrity of your residency experience. We guarantee you protected block didactic time, caps on busy inpatient services, regularly scheduled teaching rounds, and pediatric hospitalists who are in the hospital twenty-four hours a day to help, supervise, and teach. Our entire teaching faculty provides superior, evidence-based, compassionate, comprehensive care to every child seen at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital, and we are committed to teaching you the same.
Our program provides you with some exciting opportunities to make a difference locally and regionally. You will hone your educator skills by supervising third and fourth year Michigan State University medical students during their Pediatric clerkship and senior electives at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. We'll enrich your skills through a "Residents as Educators" curriculum. You will be invited to participate fully on a variety of hospital committees. This provides you the opportunity to make a difference here and learn skills that you can take to other hospital systems in the future.
We are privileged to provide you the benefits of both a community and academic residency program in one location. Our community origin provides close relationships and involvement with local pediatricians in an energetic, fun, and respectful atmosphere. Our affiliation with Michigan State University preserves high academic standards and exceptional researchers and resources within our hospital. This is a unique balance in which residents are the clear winners.
So, why haven't you heard of us before? When you visit us, you will undoubtedly join the countless people who tell us that we are a "hidden treasure" and "a well kept secret"! Don't be confused by the "community" label. We are a very academic, university affiliated residency program that exists in a supportive community that just happens to be the second largest city in the state of Michigan! Come take a look at what we have to offer. You'll be glad you did. We are eager to meet you, and look forward to our visit together!
Candace Smith-King, M.D., FAAP
Welcome from the Chief Residents
Welcome to Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital, a regional referral center that provides a wonderful blend of academic and community medicine devoted to infants, children, and adolescents. Our pediatric residency program provides a unique opportunity to care for a wide breadth of pediatric patients with over 40 pediatric specialty services represented.
Resident input into our education and curriculum is highly valued, and we have the opportunity to participate in various committees that help shape residency academic goals. We have a weekly 4-hour block of didactic lectures each Thursday that is considered protected time, meaning that residents are free from clinical obligations. This includes a weekly interactive board review session and reading club structured around the American Board of Pediatrics content specifications. Other educational initiatives include the weekly pediatric Grand Rounds, weekly multidisciplinary case conference, bi-weekly morning report, monthly morning report presented by an attending, journal club every other month, and morbidity and mortality conference every other month in place of a Grand Rounds. Additionally, during elective months you can attend other multidisciplinary conferences such as tumor board or CT surgery board.
Our hospital is committed to a culture of safety and high-reliability teams and residents are exposed to safety and quality improvement initiatives throughout residency training. For those residents interested in private practice, community pediatricians present various facets of owning your own practice. There is also an intern lecture series led by senior residents which is a combination of didactic and a hands-on curriculum to help facilitate their transition to residency. Recognizing the need to always be prepared for any emergency, we use high-fidelity simulation in the form of mock codes monthly for all residents in addition to mock neonatal resuscitations during NICU and newborn rotations.
Scholarly activity has emerged as a residency requirement across the nation. Here residents receive support and guidance in developing a research project focused on bench research, clinical research or quality improvement, depending on resident interests. GRMEP has its own research department that is full of resources to guide your project to completion. Our residents have gone on to receive research grants and present at national and international conferences which have included the AAP national and state conference, the Pediatric Academic Society Meeting, and the Irish and American Paediatric Academic Society Meeting. Many residents have published articles in top pediatric journals including Pediatrics in Review and Pediatrics.
Outside of the hospital we strive to give back to our community through various advocacy projects. There is a required advocacy month in which residents are assigned to a local school and teach students about topics such as healthy eating, dental care, and substance abuse. This month also allows for visiting local outreach agencies and homes of chronically ill children.
We can't say enough about how much we love living in Grand Rapids. The large city has unique restaurants, concerts, sporting events, symphonies, museums, and is a fun place for singles and families alike. You don't have to be an outdoor enthusiast to enjoy the beaches along beautiful Lake Michigan. A relaxing, peaceful day at the beach in Holland or Grand Haven can melt away some of the stresses of residency. West Michigan has a plethora of places for outdoor sports ranging
from biking to skiing. If you enjoy road biking, you'll find plenty of great trails around the city including the White Pine Trail which travels north all the way to Cadillac.
We hope that you enjoy checking out the remainder of our website and consider making GRMEP/MSU your pediatric residency home! We would love to answer any further questions, so feel free to contact us!